The Circle Closes is the ninth episode and final episode of the CBS All Access adaption of The Stand. It aired on February 11, 2021.
After seeing both the light and the dark, Frannie makes her stand.
Frannie successfully gives birth to a girl whom she names Abagail after Mother Abagail. While the baby seemingly catches Captain Trips, she quickly recovers and more babies are born who are also immune to the disease. Sometime later, Stu, Tom and Kojak return to the relief of many.
On July 4th, Frannie tells Stu that she wants to return to Maine and he obliges. Taking Kojak with them, Stu, Frannie and Abagail leave Boulder. While on the road, they end up in Nebraska and stay at an abandoned house that is seemingly being kept watch by a girl sitting in the corn field next to it, unbeknownst to them. While Stu heads into a nearby town to get more supplies, Frannie looks after Abagail and tries getting water from a well. She is frightened by the spirit of Flagg and falls down; breaking numerous bones and falling unconscious.
Frannie awakens in a jungle where Flagg tries to coerce her. He will revive her and return her to her daughter if he uses her as an agent. She refuses and flees from him; ending up with Mother Abagail's spirit. She informs her that she will become a mother to five children who will repopulate the world.
Stu, having become concerned when Frannie fails to answer her walkie, makes it back and discovers her in the well. With the little girl's help, implied to be a young Mother Abigail, they manage to rescue Frannie from the well. She heals her injuries before disappearing. One week later, Stu and Frannie arrive in Maine and ponder their and humanity's future. Somewhere else, Flagg appears before a primal tribe and exhibits his powers on them. Now claiming the name Russell Faraday, he demands to be worshipped by them, which they do.
- James Marsden as Stu Redman
- Odessa Young as Frannie Goldsmith
- Brad William Henke as Tom Cullen
- Alexander Skarsgård as Randall Flagg
- Whoopi Goldberg as Mother Abagail Freemantle
- Kendall Joy Hall as
- Nicholas Lea as Norris Ridgewick
- Olivia Cheng as Sylvia Wen
- Gordon Kyle Diez Cormier as Joe/Leo Rockway
- Luis Javier as Native Chief
- Tarun Keram as Steve
- "Green River" by Creedence Clearwater Revival (at the July 4th picnic).
- "I Fall to Pieces" by Patsy Cline (as Frannie and Stu dance, then talk about the future).
- “San Luis” by Gregory Alan Isakov (Frannie and Stu’s road trip).
- "It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" by R.E.M. (over the closing credits).
|Novel • 2020 Miniseries • 1994 Miniseries|
|Stu Redman • Nadine Cross • Glen Bateman • Fran Goldsmith • Abagail Freemantle • Larry Underwood • Tom Cullen|
|Randall Flagg • Trashcan Man • Julie Lawry • Lloyd Henreid|
|Harold Lauder • Rita Blakemoor • Leo Rockway|
2020 Miniseries Episodes
|"The End" • "Pocket Savior" • "Blank Pages" • "The House of the Dead" • "Suspicious Minds" • "The Vigil" • "The Walk" • "The Stand" • "Coda: Frannie in the Well"|
1994 Miniseries Episodes
|"The Plague" • "The Dreams" • "The Betrayal" • "The Stand"|